With so many men volunteering to join the Army following the declaration of war in August 1914 a shortage of barrack accommodation arose. To help alleviate the shortage the Duke of Northumberland gave permission for a new Army Camp to be built on the pastures to the north of Alnwick Castle. In early 1915 the new camp was nearly ready and at the end of January 1915, the 1st Tyneside Scottish (20th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers) departed from Newcastle to march to Alnwick. Prior to departure a civic reception, attended by the Lord Mayor was held.
On Saturday 31st January 2015, a service to commemorate the centenary of the March of the Tyneside Scottish to Alnwick was held in St Thomas the Martyr in Newcastle Haymarket. Branch members attended the service an a ceremony where a wreath was laid at the Response memorial.
On the evening of the evening of the 31st, the Branch attended a commemoration evening in Felton Village Hall, which was on the original march route in 1915. The main speaker was author John Sheen who presented on the history of the TS from 1914 to 1916, with Branch Project Officer Ian Jones outlining the TS100 Project.
To commemorate the arrival in Alnwick, the march of the Tyneside Scottish into the town and onward to the Castle was re-enacted. The Pipe band of Northumbria ACF led serving TS from 204 (Tyneside Scottish) Battery Royal Artillery, veterans from the Tyneside Scottish Branch RAA and the Tyneside Scottish detachments of Northumbria ACF down Bondgate, and into Alnwick Castle.
Branch President Colonel Tony Glenton lead the Branch contingent and Northumbria ACF TS Detachment on the march.
As ever ...... always time to enjoy Branch comradeship